Thursday, September 18, 2008

Obama, McCain, and Taxes

I am seriously leaning towards voting for McCain/Palin. I'm 95% sure that's the way I will go, but I am very frustrated with the misinformation out there about Obama's tax plan. I encourage anyone to go read about the plans to get the real information.

If you make less than $250,000 as a couple ($200,000 as an individual), your personal tax burden will go down more with Obama's plan than with McCain's. If you make more than that, you will be hosed with Obama's plan, but that's not my point ... because most of you don't. :)

I've heard from multiple people who are worried about Obama's tax ideas. There are legitimate concerns, but they are not related to an average person's personal income tax rising. Even if you are worried about capital gains, the capital gains increase Obama suggests doesn't apply unless you make over $250,000 as a couple. Most people's capital gains are in their retirement in which case they are taxed as personal income anyway.

Concerns about Obama's corporate tax plans, concerns about the economical effects of taxing the investments of the rich, and concerns about adding more complexity to the tax system are all valid. Arguments can be made that all of these will negatively affect the economy. But concern about your individual taxes going up is not valid! (Unless you are 'rich')

I have other concerns with Obama: mostly that he does not have a single actual important decision that he has made with specific positive results on his resume. He's voted a lot (sometimes 'present' ;) ), and helped write some laws, but mostly he has just run for President ... and done that well. I can't find any evidence showing that anything would be substantially different if Obama hadn't been around the last few years. He's never made a truly difficult decision impacting a city, state, or country. That is troubling to me.

On a side note: The 'no experience' thing is handy for him when running for President because no one can not criticize his decisions, just his ideas (which he can change rapidly if necessary - see NAFTA in the democratic primaries). He hasn't made any decisions so there are no decisions to criticize!

That's enough politics for now. I'm going to finish my lunch.

1 comment:

Chip said...

I'm glad you are looking into Obama's tax plan, because you correctly note that there is lot of misinformation out there about it.

I'm pretty active in the politics forum at artsandfaith.com where I recently posted a long response to a question about Obama's accomplishments. I had been thinking that I should adapt it for my blog, and your post provided the addition inspiration to do that.

You can read some of why I disagree with the idea that Obama "does not have a single actual important decision that he has made with specific positive results on his resume" here. I'd be interested in what you think, KC.