Friday, July 24, 2009

What is 'Freedom from sin'?

Lately I've been thinking about this whole idea of 'freedom from sin'. I'm not sure I've ever understood it before, but I'm getting there now.

The problem is that Paul tells us in Romans we have it, but a cursory look at our lives tells us we don't. I'm not perfect, and don't really see any way I ever will be. And by the way, you're not either. So what in the world is Paul talking about when he says we as Believers are free from sin?

This question led me to a fundamental error in the way I view the world. Even though the Bible clearly teaches that we are in the middle of a battle, I generally view my life as at peace. This causes big problems, because freedom means very different things in the context of peace versus the context of war.

Think about it like this. In a peaceful context, freedom of the USA from another nation means that the USA would do exactly what they want to do when they want to do it. However, in a context of being attacked, freedom means something very different. It means they continue to fight the battle. The USA is likely being harmed by the other nation, and is likely not doing exactly what they want to do when they want to do it ... but as long as they are still fighting, they are still free.

At peace, freedom is marked by the alignment of heart or will, and action. At war, freedom is marked by a fight.

In the same way: in a peaceful context, freedom from sin means that I would do exactly what I want when I want. My heart or will, and my actions would align. I would be perfect. However, when I'm being attacked, freedom from sin means that I continue to fight. I am likely being harmed by the attack, and I am likely not doing exactly what I want to do when I want to do it ... but as long as I am still fighting, I am free.

When Paul says 'we are free from sin' and at the same time says 'I do what I do not want to do, and what I want to do, I don't do', he is not trying to confuse us. When we believe in Jesus, and yet continue to sin, we do not need to feel that our theology contradicts our experience. While we are on earth, fighting against our adversary (the devil), our freedom results in a fight. When we get to heaven, and have no adversary, our freedom will result in perfection.

No comments: