Thursday, November 12, 2009

A Girl Named Durga Bhavani

A couple years ago our family decided to sponsor a child in India. Honestly, I didn't give much thought to it at the time. It just seemed like the right thing to do. For just over $30 dollars per month we could provide food, housing, and safety for a street child in India. Why wouldn't we do that?

After we signed up, we received a picture of our girl, and we learned that her name was Durga Bhavani. We put her picture on our refrigerator, but the magnitude of what we were doing never sank in to me. Outside of a sentence prayer while grabbing something out of the fridge, I really didn't give her much thought.

Then I met her and she became real to me.

One night, the leaders at the orphanage prepared a campfire for us. I'm not entirely sure why as it was over 80 degrees outside, but it did provide a nice backdrop, as we sat in chairs and listened to a couple members of our team play guitar and lead us in worship. I was enjoying the moment of rest and relaxation when I looked across from me and saw another member of our team with a child on his lap. I thought, I wonder if Bhavani would like that?

One of the things I love about Bhavani is that she is always respectful, yet always available. Many of the kids would bum rush us for hugs and photos every time we stepped out of the little cottage we were staying in, but not Bhavani - she waited. She always waited for me to come towards her, but amazingly every time I stepped off the small porch, she was there - and usually she had brought friends to introduce to me.

When I was sitting by the fire, it was no different. As soon as I turned my head I saw her standing right behind me with several of her friends. I motioned for her to come over and lifted her up on my lap. She smiled.

After a few minutes had passed, I began to wonder if she was doing this out of obligation. I didn't want her to feel forced to stay there if she preferred to go play with her friends so I moved my arm which was wrapped around her so she could get up. As soon as I did it, she looked up at me, grabbed my arm and wrapped it back around her. I felt tears welling up in me - the fire, the worship, the music, and a little girl who just wanted to be held was almost to much for me.

As we sang a little more, I noticed her wiping a tear from her eyes. I thought to myself. I bet she has never been held like this. I bet she has never had someone hold on to her for 15 minutes before. What an incredible blessing to be able to provide for a child, and now to hold her.

Bhavani is tough - she doesn't like to show emotion. She didn't want me to see the tears. At 8 years old, she has already experienced the death of her father, and the attempted suicide of her mother - who tried to burn herself alive. She knows the tragedy of life, but maybe for a few minutes on this night, she was able to experience the joy of life. Maybe this will help her to always know that there is someone who cares, and more importantly, that there is a God who cares.

I don't know when I will see Bhavani again. I don't know what God has in store for her. All I know is that I now love her. She is no longer just a child on our refrigerator. She has moved from my refrigerator into my heart. That $30 a month is now going to my girl instead of some girl, I am now praying for my girl, instead of a girl. I feel so fortunate to be involved!

I expected my first post after returning from India would talk about the Pastor's conference, and it was amazing, but I think maybe a more amazing thing happened in my heart and in Bhavani's. I won't get to see her often, but she knows she has a dad - and I get the privilege and blessing and honor of being that dad ... all for just $30 a month. What an amazing blessing!

If you are interested in sponsoring a child check out www.onelifechild.org.

No comments: