Thursday, July 17, 2008

Some Good Articles on China

During my lunch-time web reading, I found a couple good articles on China. For those of you who don't know, my family and I spent 2 years living in China. It was a wonderful experience and we met great friends who we miss very much. I have never been anywhere that people will go more out of their way to help you and help give you a positive view of their country than China. They love their country and they love to help. Of course, due to the clash of cultures (see article 2) sometimes the help doesn't come across to us westerners quite right. For instance, they are removing dog off of the Beijing restaurant menus for the Olympics. It's an effort to make us feel welcome and help us to see China positively, but to me it's a bummer. If you go to China, eat real Chinese! Dog is pretty good - trust me. :) Besides, we have plenty of ordinary, not so good Chinese food here in the States.

Here is an excellent summary of some everyday-living culture differences.

Here is a good summary of Christian history in China. It is written from a western perspective, but an interesting read.

No comments: